Sunday, August 8, 2010

Is God teaching me the importance of a hug?

If you know me well, you know I don't like hugs. You'll never see me instigate a hug and I feel awkward when others hug me. There have been times I stand in the shower (this seems to be my thinking time, prob b/c it's the only time I'm alone) and cry b/c days have passed without a single hug given to my family.

As I stood in church this morning enjoying the music, this cute little elderly couple came in about 15 minutes late, cane in hand, making their way to the center of the pew to stand next to me. For some reason I couldn't keep my eyes off them. Even though this man's body shook as he held his cane, it never kept him from standing each time the pastor requested it. During prayer he wrapped his arm around his wife, squeezed as if he'd not seen her in years, and whispered "I love you". I thought, God, I hope Alex and I are like that in 50 years.

As the service continued, I looked over to find this precious lady shaking her husband whispering, "wake up, wake up". There were no breaths, no heartbeat; in a short second, life was gone. Would she ever get to hug him again? Would she ever get to say "I love you too"? Was that hug the last thing he would ever give her?

Security, doctors and eventually the ambulance made their way to him. I have no more news to share on the outcome of this sweet couple, but I do know this, it doesn't matter if you've lived 10 years or 90 years, you can never give too many hugs, too many kisses or say too many "I love yous". Time is precious and we need to wrap our arms around those we love every day before they're gone.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, this is so true. Life can be gone in a split second and will we wonder what were our last actions or our last words? The last I heard the gentleman is doing fine now. In the hallway after church service, Pappy told Aiden and Xander; "Do you see all of these people in this hallway? I love you more than any of them!" Xander hugged Pappy extremely tight with a huge smile. LOVE CONQUERS ALL! Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete