I consider one of my greatest blessings in life to be the fact that I have wonderful Christian parents, people who have supported me throughout my life. They allowed me to make mistakes and was always there when I failed.
Today I wanted to speak a little about my Dad. Some of the most vivid memories with him include truck rides singing "My Girl" as loud as we could, playing basketball in the driveway, riding in the back of the truck to go trick or treating, hearing him cheer for me at my powder puff football games, taking me to the hospital every time I broke a finger, which was quite often...the lists goes on and on. One particular memory I have is that my mom did most of, well all of the shopping in our home. Half the time Dad didn't know what we were opening for Christmas or Birthday gifts b/c Mom had bought it, wrapped it and he just smiled as he knew what was inside. I will never forget a day in Kohl's, I walked by a "little girl, little boy" picture frame (you know the black and white ones where the flower was red) and I said, oh I love that. Then Valentines Day morning I found a wrapped gift in my room that read, "Love you always, Dad". I ran to mom asking what is this and to my surprise she had no idea! Dad had gone to Kohls, bought me the picture frame without Mom knowing. This memory will be engraved in my mind forever and the picture frame is upstairs in my bedroom.
A few weeks ago my best friend lost her Dad unexpectedly and I was able to be by her side for the funeral. One evening we sat in the floor of her mom's home watching a video her brother had made of this wonderful man, her Father and his life. She sat there and told me story after story, crying, laughing...it was one of the most precious moments of my life. It reminded me that life is short and we must cherish and appreciate each moment with our fathers.
Dad, I found this poem that I wish I had written myself, b/c every word is from my heart:
You may have thought I didn't see, or that I hadn't heard, life's lessons that you taught to me, but I got every word. Perhaps you thought I missed it all, and that we'd grow apart, but Dad, I picked up everything, it's written on my heart. Without you Dad I wouldn't be, the woman I am today. You built a strong foundation no one can take away. I've grown up with your values and I'm very glad I did; so here's to you, dear father, from your forever grateful kid. (Joanna Fuchs)
Today I wanted to speak a little about my Dad. Some of the most vivid memories with him include truck rides singing "My Girl" as loud as we could, playing basketball in the driveway, riding in the back of the truck to go trick or treating, hearing him cheer for me at my powder puff football games, taking me to the hospital every time I broke a finger, which was quite often...the lists goes on and on. One particular memory I have is that my mom did most of, well all of the shopping in our home. Half the time Dad didn't know what we were opening for Christmas or Birthday gifts b/c Mom had bought it, wrapped it and he just smiled as he knew what was inside. I will never forget a day in Kohl's, I walked by a "little girl, little boy" picture frame (you know the black and white ones where the flower was red) and I said, oh I love that. Then Valentines Day morning I found a wrapped gift in my room that read, "Love you always, Dad". I ran to mom asking what is this and to my surprise she had no idea! Dad had gone to Kohls, bought me the picture frame without Mom knowing. This memory will be engraved in my mind forever and the picture frame is upstairs in my bedroom.
A few weeks ago my best friend lost her Dad unexpectedly and I was able to be by her side for the funeral. One evening we sat in the floor of her mom's home watching a video her brother had made of this wonderful man, her Father and his life. She sat there and told me story after story, crying, laughing...it was one of the most precious moments of my life. It reminded me that life is short and we must cherish and appreciate each moment with our fathers.
Dad, I found this poem that I wish I had written myself, b/c every word is from my heart:
You may have thought I didn't see, or that I hadn't heard, life's lessons that you taught to me, but I got every word. Perhaps you thought I missed it all, and that we'd grow apart, but Dad, I picked up everything, it's written on my heart. Without you Dad I wouldn't be, the woman I am today. You built a strong foundation no one can take away. I've grown up with your values and I'm very glad I did; so here's to you, dear father, from your forever grateful kid. (Joanna Fuchs)
No comments:
Post a Comment